Friday, August 22, 2008

Pre-K

Emma started pre-K this week. Being the social butterfly that she is, she was ecstatic. I took her to her classroom, wished her luck on her first day and kissed her goodbye. She was off like a shot, showing her new friends her "cool new Hannah Montana" shirt and her "beautiful pink princess lunch bag."

On that long walk back to the car, the one where I tried so hard not to lose it in the parking lot, I wondered how we got here so quickly. It seems like just yesterday that she had no idea Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers even existed. Now she wants an iPod for her birthday so she can listen to them any time she wants. Thankfully she is asking Santa for a "moving baby doll" for Christmas, so she hasn't abandoned her childhood just yet.

I don't think I am a "helicopter parent" that hovers over my kids too much. I don't want to stunt their emotional growth, or keep them from growing up. I just don't want it to happen overnight. So maybe I am a little overprotective. I skip the begining of "Finding Nemo" and I don't let them play in the backyard by themselves. It just seems so hard to find a good balance, but I realize if I just take a deep breath, look inside myself and pay attention to my children's cues, it will all turn out OK.

Her first day was great. She made some new friends, as well as reconnected with some from last year. She loves her new teachers, Ms. Johnnie and Ms. Amy. We found out, a little too late, that her room is "peanut-free" and I had packed her requested peanut butter sandwich for lunch. She had to eat lunch across the hall with her preschool teacher, Ms. Bobbi. That was also great fun, because Ms. Bobbi holds a special place in our hearts. I asked her what she wanted to take in her lunch since peanut butter is now out of the question. She replied, in her very grown-up manner, "I believe I will try either tuna or quiche. How does that sound, Mom?"

My sweet little Emma, I think that sounds perfect.

1 comment:

jkc said...

God, I can so picture her saying that, too.