Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Organzing: Day Two

DISCLAIMER: Okay, so I know it has been a few days since my last post, but I am counting this as my official second day of organization because it is the official second day I have worked toward my goals. So these posts probably won't be daily, although that would be ideal. I will do my best!

Whew, now that I have that outta the way, on to what I accomplished! First, I painted a dresser for Aidan's room. I know that may not sound like much by way of organizing, but it is. It has been sitting in my overly-crowded dining room for how long now I cannot precisely recall. So it is moving out of there tomorrow, hence freeing up space. Also, I will now have a better place to store Aidan's clothes.

Tomorrow I will install the anti-tip kit I purchased and move the dresser into his room. And I will make the drawers look great. I predict they will stay that way at least until I leave the room. After that, I make no guarantees.

The best thing about this dresser, other than providing storage for my little boy's things, is that it is recycled. It is Brandon's old dresser. A new coat of paint and new hardware, and it looks great! I will post a picture tomorrow after I get it set up.

I also got rid of the batting that ate New York. Temporarily anyway. I am going to keep it at my mom's house, crammed in a closet, for the time being. At least it is gone from my poor overworked dining room.

I have come to the conclusion that I am literally drowning in paper. There is paper piled up all over the place. It seems every flat surface is covered with the stuff. A lot of it is the stagnant stuff that I mentioned last time. I am doing my best to wade through it, shredding when necessary and bagging all of it for recycling.

The paper seems so innocuous, but it is a crafty foe. Once I have it under control, here it comes, sneaking up on me again, slowly at first, so that I hardly notice it or pay it any mind. In a few days I have a pile on the bookcase in the entryway. Then it creeps onto the island. I move some of it to the roll top desk, with intentions of sorting and shredding, but you know what they say about good intentions. Life is busy, and I tend to go all Scarlett O'Hara, vowing to think about it tomorrow.

I realize now that it is a daily chore, and with this I will struggle. I hope the recent purchase of a handy-dandy compact filing unit will help. It contains 43 folders, one for each month and one for each day of the month. My ultimate goal is to immediately file away any paper that enters the house in this unit. If I can make it a habit to do this and check it every day I think it will immensely cut down on the paper mess.

Lastly, I worked on my
website today. I have decided to just feature my children's products. I have removed all of my stationery items. I still love to paper craft, and I will still occasionally list some things in my etsy store as well as continue custom orders for my regular clients. I must say that I feel really good about this decision. I am very excited to be adding lots of new merchandise and pictures, and I hope to have it completely updated soon.

I will try to post some pictures of my progress tomorrow. No promises, because I never know what the day will bring. Here's to a productive Thursday. And to all the kiddos, have a fun and safe fall break!

No comments: