Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Birthday Girl

New Year's Eve. I don't believe it. Where did the year go?

In our house New Year's Eve is a huge deal because it also my Emma's birthday. She turns FIVE today, which just seems so impossible. I can still so easily picture they way we had her nursery arranged. I can still remember her smell as I nursed her and rocked her for hours on end in the comfy yellow chair, see the shadows cast across her peaceful face by the soothing glow of her low light lamp. I can feel her soft curls and sweet breath on my neck as I hold her and tell her stories and sing along to Coldplay.

And now my baby girl thinks she is all grown up. She can't wait to go to Kindergarten. She loves to sing and dance to Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus. She has a very keen sense of fashion and loves to shop, though this is not something new for her. She watches Cyberchase instead of Sesame Street. She wanted, and received, an iPod for Christmas instead of toys. But she still loves to snuggle with me, and for that I am eternally grateful.

3 comments:

jkc said...

I am such a geek because I can't wait to give Emma her gift...I think the both of you will have fun :) Reading past entries and laughing over you and Eve's Twilight obsession....I REFUSE to get hook in!!! Oh, who am I kidding...it's time for the book club to commence :)

Darlene said...

I hope you are having a great 2009!

Darlene said...

Hi Brigitte,

My hubby had to go to OKC this morning (for work) and he called about 12:30 asking what our weather was doing. It is drizzling but just above freezing so he is heading home. He packed an overnight bag just in case he got stuck. I think it is going to be really bad Tues and Wed morning. Hope you stay home, safe and warm!